Mystic CT is a village comprised of two towns, Groton and Stonington, that share the same zip code but is separated by a drawbridge, known as the Mystic River Bascule Bridge, along the Mystic River. The first settlers settled here in 1654. Although the Stonington side was originally called “Southerton” which was named by the Peqout Indians and translated to the town east of the river. In 1665 General Session voted to change the name “Southerton” to Mistick which is known as Olde Mystick today.
The War of 1812 was had on these lands. Afterwards the area continued to grow prompting the installation of the first bridge in 1819. The drawbridge was built in 1835. In 1890 the village of Mystic became known as Old Mystic. At this time, without actually merging, they gave up their independent names and became known as Mystic.